High CMR Line Receiver Optocouplers
The HCPL-2602/12 are optically coupled line receivers
that combine a GaAsP light emitting diode, an input
current regulator and an integrated high gain photo
detector. The input regulator serves as a line
termination for line receiver applications. It clamps
the line voltage and regulates the LED current so line
reflections do not interfere with circuit performance.
The regulator allows a typical LED current of 8.5 mA
before it starts to shunt excess current. The output
of the detector IC is an open collector Schottky clamped
transistor. An enable input gates the detector. The
internal detector shield provides a guaranteed
common mode transient immunity specification of
1000 V/ms for the 2602, and 3500 V/ms for the 2612.
DC specifications are defined similar to TTL logic.
The optocoupler ac and dc operational parameters
are guaranteed from 0°C to 70°C allowing trouble-
free interfacing with digital logic circuits. An input
current of 5 mA will sink an eight gate fan-out (TTL)
at the output.
• 1000 V/µs minimum Common Mode Rejection (CMR) at
= 50 V for HCPL-2602 and 3.5 kV/µs minimum
CMR at V
= 300 V for HCPL-2612
• Line termination included – no extra circuitry required
• Accepts a broad range of drive conditions
• LED protection minimizes LED efficiency degradation
• High speed: 10 MBd (limited by transmission line in
• Guaranteed AC and DC performance over temperature:
0°C to 70°C
• External base lead allows “LED peaking” and LED
• Safety approval
UL recognized – 3750 V rms for 1 Minute
• MIL-PRF-38534 hermetic version available (HCPL-1930/1)
• Isolated line receiver
• Computer-peripheral interface
• Microprocessor system interface
• Digital isolation for A/D, D/A conversion
• Current sensing
• Instrument input/output isolation
• Ground loop elimination
• Pulse transformer replacement
• Power transistor isolation in motor drives
bypass capacitor must be connected between pins 5 and 8.
CAUTION: It is advised that normal static precautions be taken in handling and assembly of this component to
prevent damage and/or degradation which may be induced by ESD.